Dec. 2, 2021
Infrastructure work for West Walnut project continues, includes overnight work
Underground infrastructure work is continuing in the West Walnut Street area. Overnight work at the intersection of West State of Franklin Road and West Watauga Avenue will begin tonight (Dec. 2) at 7 p.m. and end tomorrow (Dec. 3) at 7 a.m. Crews will be back in the same area for overnight work on Monday, Dec. 6 and at the intersection of West Walnut Street and West Watauga Avenue on Tuesday, Dec. 7. This work will require a lane closure on West State of Franklin Road and disrupt traffic flow intermittently.
Other infrastructure work will impact the following streets during the day for the next 10 days:
- West Watauga Avenue and Ashe Streets – intermittent closures
- Sevier Street – closed between Lynn and West Walnut streets
- Ernest and Campbell streets – closed
- Sevier Street and West Walnut Street intersection – intermittent lane shifts
- West Watauga Avenue and West Walnut Street intersection – intermittent lane shifts
Drivers who cannot avoid these areas should expect delays, use caution in the construction zone, and observe posted speed limits for their safety and the safety of workers.
This work is part of the City of Johnson City’s West Walnut Street Redevelopment Project. Additional information about the proposed redevelopment in this area as well as updates on construction can be found on the City’s website, www.johnsoncitytn.org/westwalnutplan.