This service is provided for Johnson City Solid Waste customers. Please call 423-975-2700 for more information.
Click Here for our regular brush pick up schedule.
For customers with manual garbage collection, bagged grass must be placed adjacent to the customer’s regular garbage containers and weigh no more than 50 lbs. each.
For customers with automated garbage collection, grass must be placed in the cart provided and/or sold by the City.
Brush collection takes place throughout the year but may be altered during leaf collection periods. The City defines brush as tree trimmings, shrubbery (with no roots), limbs, etc., generated by routine maintenance of a property by the homeowner.
- Brush piles must not exceed 10-foot lengths, must be piled straight, and placed behind or on the curb for collection.
- Do not place brush on center medians or islands.
- Do not place brush next to objects such as fences, guy wires, and poles or under trees. Equipment is restricted in those areas.
- Brush may not be mixed with other debris. If mixed with leaves, grass, dirt, rocks, lumber, etc., brush will not be collected until properly separated.
Anyone hired to trim or remove trees, shrubs, etc., is required to remove the resulting brush from the property. Failure to do so may result in a court citation.
Fall Leaf Collection
The City’s annual fall leaf collection takes place from November to mid-December. A minimum of two pickups should occur in each neighborhood during the leaf collection period. Residents are asked not to bag leaves and to pile leaves behind the curb (not in front of the curb or on the street). Leaves will not be collected in alleys. All leaf piles should be free of trash, debris and limbs or they will not be collected.
- The City will deliver loads of leaves (approximately 23 cubic yards) to residents inside the city who want them for garden mulch, provided their property is accessible by a large truck.
Spring Leaf Collection
Spring leaf collection takes place during the first two full weeks in April. Leaves should be at the curb by 7 a.m. on the Monday of the first full week in April to assure pick-up.
Bagged Leaf Collection
Bagged collection is not encouraged, but if you have missed your leaf collection period, you may use the following service.
For customers with manual garbage collection, bagged leaves must be placed adjacent to the customer’s regular garbage containers and weigh no more than 50 lbs. each. For customers with automated garbage collection, bagged leaves must be placed in the cart provided and/or sold by the City.
Open burning of brush, leaves and other items without a permit is prohibited by City Ordinance.
Call 423-975-2840 for information on burning.