The West Walnut Street Corridor Redevelopment Plan is a $33 million investment that will lay the foundation for the revitalization of the area that connects East Tennessee State University to downtown.
The existing road will be removed and replaced with a new design which will include upgrades to water and sewer lines and storm drains. The new, pedestrian-friendly roadway will include sidewalks on both sides, on-street parking and a bike lane. The design of the roadway will include traffic calming measures such as raised intersections and slight curves.
The intersection of West Walnut Street and University Parkway will be converted to a right-in-right-out configuration and a street extension will be constructed at Cherokee Street to connect West Walnut Street to State of Franklin Road. A new signal will be installed at Pine Street and University Parkway. Public, accessible greenspaces are included in the plan to aid in the best management of stormwater and serve as gathering places for people living in or visiting the City of Johnson City.
To view the plan in its entirety, please visit West Walnut Street Corridor Redevelopment Plan.
West Walnut Update (Nov. 17)
Below you will find updated information on construction activities for the West Walnut Street Corridor Redevelopment Plan. The next update will be emailed in early December.
End of November
- Crews will complete paving on West Walnut Street from Sevier to Buffalo streets.
- Curb and gutter work will be complete up to Buffalo Street by Nov. 20.
- Crews will complete storm drain installation along West Walnut from Boyd Street to 475 feet to the west by Nov. 27 and 28.
- Brick paver installation for Ashe and West Walnut streets is expected to resume in December.
- Electrical duct bank installation is taking place on West Walnut Street from West Watauga Avenue to 650 feet to the west. Related work will continue on Boyd Street to Lynn Alley.
- Electrical vaults were completed on Oct. 23 for BrightRidge to begin racking and pulling underground wire.
- Work continues on street light and communications conduit along West Walnut Street.
- Roadway base pavement preparation is underway on West Walnut Street from Earnest to Buffalo streets.
- Asphalt entrance paving will occur along Ashe Street and in some areas of West Walnut Street.
- Sidewalk installation is taking place along West Walnut and Union streets.
- Hardscape features and brick paver base will be placed along the Earnest Street walkway.
- Crews will cut and cap an old 6-inch water line near Cherokee Street.
- Building roof drain connections will be installed at various location along West Walnut Street at this time.
Projected completion times are subject to change due to weather, material availability, and other unpredictable factors.
Drivers who cannot avoid these areas should expect delays, use caution in the construction zone, and observe posted speed limits for their safety and the safety of workers. Drivers are asked to reduce their speed to limit dust in the area.
sign up for updates
Updates will be posted to this page as they are available. If you would like to receive email updates regarding this project, please email your request to Sarah Nobles at firstname.lastname@example.org.