Household Hazardous Waste & Misc. Disposal


Solid Waste

Home  Services  Garbage & Recycling  Household Hazardous Waste & Misc. Disposal

Washington County hosts a household hazardous waste collection day each spring. Items that are accepted include household chemicals, paint thinners, cleaners, pesticides, pool chemicals, flammables, fertilizers, and insecticides. Visit the Washington County Solid Waste website or call 423-753-1652 for more information.

Great American Cleanup 2022: TBD
Locations:  Corner of Legion Street and State of Franklin Rd. - AND - Corner of Liberty Bell Blvd. and Guaranda Dr. (Lot J)

FURNITURE AND APPLIANCES  (Available to city residents only)
Residents may arrange for furniture and appliances to be collected curbside by calling the Street Division at 423-975-2700. There is no additional charge for this service, but residents must call to have the items placed on the pick-up schedule. When placing a freezer or refrigerator at the street for collection, it is recommended that the appliance be placed on its lid or door.


The City of Johnson City does not collect tires due to state law prohibiting the disposal of tires in sanitary landfills. By law, the county is responsible for the disposal or recycling of all tires from its jurisdiction. Tires are therefore accepted at Washington County Tire Center, 190 Lancaster Road, Kingsport, TN 37663. Visit the Washington County Tire Center for more information.

Household batteries, both rechargeable and non-rechargeable, are accepted for recycling in curbside bins and in person at the Solid Waste Services Complex at 91 New St., Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. Both battery terminals must be taped securely. Batteries must be placed in a plastic sandwich/storage bag with a zipper seal. If depositing batteries via curbside bins, please place baggies on top of other recyclables in the bin.


The City does not pick up building material or carpet. It is the property owner’s responsibility to dispose of these items. Call Iris Glen Environmental Center at 423-926-8375 for rules and rates regarding disposal of these items.


Used cooking oil is accepted for recycling via curbside bins. Residents are asked to strain food particles from the oil and place the oil in a clear gallon container with a screw-on lid. Lard, shortening, and tallow are not accepted. While used motor oils (NO kerosene, gasoline, brake or transmission fluids, paint thinner, etc.) are also accepted for recycling, they should not be mixed with cooking oils.


Fluorescent tubes and compact fluorescent bulbs (CFLs) are accepted for recycling in person only at the Solid Waste Services Complex at 91 New St., Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. Tubes and bulbs should be placed in original packaging or wrapped in newspaper. Only four tubes will be accepted per visit; there is no limit on CFLs. Tubes longer than 4 feet will not be accepted.


A drop box for unused medications is located in the lobby of the Johnson City Police Department, 601 E. Main St.


Unused paint should be left to dry in can, adding dirt or sand if needed. After placing the lid back on the can, the can may be placed in the garbage cart for collection.