All new subdivisions and replats of property in Johnson City and certain areas of Washington County must be approved by the Johnson City Regional Planning Commission. Whenever you want to divide property or merely shift a property line, please check with the Planning Department to see if you are subject to subdivision law.

Many of the subdivisions approved by the Planning Commission are new subdivisions, with new streets and utilities constructed in conformance with the Planning Commission’s regulations. The Planning Commission regulates all aspects of the development, including streets, drainage, and utilities to minimize potential problems and assure prospective buyers of quality development. New subdivisions are drawn on a plat by a registered surveyor or engineer and recorded in the Register of Deeds Office in the County where the property is located.

Occasionally, an existing property may need its boundary line changed due to a building or driveway encroachment, or the property owner may merely wish to divide the property into two or more parcels. Technically, this is known as resubdivision on an established lot and is also subject to approval by the Planning Commission. Changing the property lines for existing properties is accomplished by replat. Minor replats can be processed by the Development Review staff to speed up processing for the owner.

Types of Subdivisions:

  • Standard Subdivision
  • Minor Subdivision (or replat)
  • Condominium Location Plat
  • Multiple Building Development and PUD

Click here to access our online applications portal to create an account and submit an application for subdivision

Major Subdivision Preliminary Plat Review Checklist
Major Subdivision Construction Plans Review Checklist
Major Subdivision Final Subdivision Plat Review Checklist
Minor Subdivision Plat Review Checklist
Subdivision As-Built Review Checklist
Subdivision Regulations
Zoning Ordinance
Minor Subdivision Plat Review Procedure
Major Subdivision Plat Review Procedure 

Fee Schedule

Minor Subdivision: $25.00
Standard Subdivisions: $40 per lot
Multiple Building Development or PUD: $20 per unit
Mobile Home Development: $25 per unit