May 7, 2019
For immediate release
Residents reminded of best practices for garbage and recycling collection
The Solid Waste Division of the City of Johnson City’s Department of Public Works is operating as normal and on schedule during the COVID-19 pandemic. The safety of our employees, their families, our customers and our community-at-large is our highest priority. Solid Waste customers can assist us in our efforts by following collection guidelines.
• Do Not Place Material Outside of Carts: It is the policy of Johnson City Solid Waste not to collect material placed outside of provided carts and recycle bins.
• Bag All Landfill Trash: Bagging trash, especially items like used tissues, limits the potential for critical service employees to come into contact with viruses and bacteria. Recycle bins will not be emptied if they include gloves, paper towels, tissues, cleaning wipes or masks.
• Empty All Liquids: Emptying containers of liquids, which can carry viruses and bacteria, limits the splashing onto drivers when trash and recyclables are emptied decreasing their risk of exposure. All lids and/or caps must be removed.
• Wipe/Disinfect Cart Handles and Lids: The two main touch points on a cart for drivers are the lid and the handles. Wiping those areas down with disinfectant or soapy water minimizes the danger of shared contact areas.
• Seal and Mark All Sharps/Needles: Customers who must dispose of medical sharp objects such as syringes should place them in a rigid plastic container sealed with duct tape and clearly marked as “Sharps.” The labeled and sealed container should be placed in the trash.
• Place Cart and Bin at Curb by 6 a.m.: To ensure collection, carts and bins should be placed at the curb by 6 a.m.
RECYCLE: Milk jugs, water bottles, juice containers, soda bottles, laundry detergent containers, fabric softener containers, bleach bottles and windshield solvent bottles. All items must have a plastic code of “1” or “2.”
COLLECTION: Empty contents, rinse and crush; remove lid or cap.
NON-RECYCLABLE: Above listed items with plastic codes other than “1” or “2.” Other plastics not listed above. Styrofoam, plastic wrap and bags, butter and yogurt bowls, motor oil/antifreeze containers.
CARDBOARD and PAPER
RECYCLE: Phone books, newspapers, magazines and inserts, catalogs, paperback books, discarded mail, cereal boxes, soft drink cartons, cardboard, paper and grayboard (cereal boxes, etc.).
COLLECTION: Remove inner materials and flatten. Flatten corrugated cardboard and reduce to 24” widths.
NONāRECYCLABLE: Shredded paper. Do not include paper products in inclement weather conditions.
RECYCLE: Beverage cans.
COLLECTION: Empty contents.
NONāRECYCLABLE: Food cans, paper and plastic cans, paint cans, buckets and foil plates.
RECYCLE: Clear, green and brown glass.
COLLECTION: Empty contents and rinse; remove lid.
NONāRECYCLABLE: Light bulbs, plate glass, mirrors, and drinking glasses.
To learn more about the City’s recycling efforts and how to prepare items for collection, visit