Feb. 24, 2020
For immediate release
Senior Services offers March health and wellness classes
Senior Services at Memorial Park Community Center, 510 Bert St., will provide the following health and wellness classes in March:
- Atrial Fib Facts: 11 a.m.-noon, Monday, March 9. Get the facts about atrial fibrillation, a common irregular heart rate that can increase the risk of stroke, heart failure and other complications. Cardiothoracic surgeon Bryan Helsel, M.D. will discuss treatment options. Free. 18 and older.
- A Taste of the Mediterranean: 5:30-7:30 p.m., Mondays, March 9 and 23. Enjoy a taste of the Mediterranean as we learn the health benefits and eating patterns of this region. Delicious recipes and food samples provided. $15 per person – cash or check to University of Tennessee on first day of class. 18 and older.
- Free Dental Screenings: 10-11 a.m., Tuesday, March 10. Free oral health screenings offered by Smile On 60+. 60 and older.
- Take Charge of Your Diabetes: 1-3 p.m., Tuesdays, March 10-April 14. This six-week program is designed to help individuals with diabetes improve their health one step at a time. Attendees will gain the skills and confidence needed to manage diabetes by planning meals, making wise food choices and monitoring blood sugar to prevent complications. Free. 18 and older.
- Better Balance – Medicine and Falls: 1-2 p.m., Thursday, March 12. A pharmacist will discuss medications that can increase the risk of falls, plus other tips for avoiding complications or drug interactions. Find out which medicines older adults should avoid and other strategies for preventing falls and fractures. Free. 50 and older.
- Better Balance Exercises: 1-2 p.m., Thursday, March 19. Physical and occupational therapists will teach attendees simple exercises that can be done at home to improve balance and help prevent falls. Free. 50 and older.
- Free Balance Screenings: 1-2 p.m., Thursday, March 26. Physical and occupational therapists will assess balance and offer tips for ways attendees can improve their strength and stability. Free. 50 and older.
- Just a Snore or Something More? Sleep Apnea: 11 a.m.-noon, Thursday, March 26. Not everyone who snores has apnea, but it is a key symptom. Attendees will learn why sleep apnea matters and receive helpful information about testing and treatment from Jared Gullet, Sleep Lab regional manager. Free. 18 and older.
- Instant Pot Cooking: 11 a.m.-noon, Monday, March 30. Find out why people have fallen in love with their Instant Pots, which could be the answer to healthy, fast, delicious food. Attendees will receive tips for using an Instant Pot and yummy recipes. Free. 18 and older.
Please register for all programs, and/or seek further information by calling 423-434-6237.