Oct. 6, 2022
City seeking applications for multiple vacancies on volunteer boards and committees
The Johnson City Board of Commissioners is accepting applications for appointments to the following volunteer boards and committees. All appointments are scheduled to be made in January 2023.
- Board of Building Codes: Hears and decides appeals to code interpretation made by the chief building official and regulates Johnson City contractor certification.
- Two appointments licensed in the following areas of expertise: residential building contractor and plumbing contractor; each for a three-year term. City residency required.
- Board of Zoning Appeals: Hears and decides appeals to provisions of the zoning code, considers applications for special exceptions and decides questions of interpretation of the code.
- Four appointments; each for a three-year term. City residency required.
- Civil Service Commission: Addresses police and fire employees’ civil service matters and certifies entry level and promotional rosters. For more information, contact Richard Lockner at 423-434-6018.
- Four appointments; each for a two-year term. Two positions are at-large, one position must be nominated by and represent the Police Department, one position must be nominated by and represent the Fire Department. City residency required.
- Golf Advisory Board: Recommends policies, procedures, rules, and regulations in operation of the golf course.
- Three appointments; each for a three-year term. City residency required.
- Historic Zoning Commission: Considers conservation zoning to ensure preservation of historical structures.
- One appointment for a five-year term. City residency required.
- Industrial Development Board: A means of financing business/industrial facilities that create employment and economic growth.
- Four appointments, each for a six-year term. City residency required.
- Johnson City Housing Authority: Establishes policy and procedures governing the operation of the housing authority.
- Two appointments, each for five-year terms. City residency required.
- Johnson City Public Library Board: Governing body and controlling fiscal authority for the public library. For information, contact Julia Turpin at firstname.lastname@example.org, 423-434-4457.
- One appointment for a term expiring in July 2024. City residency required.
- Johnson City Regional Planning Commission: Administers the City’s subdivision regulations and advises the City Commission on matters of long-range development policy, zoning and annexation.
- One appointment for a term expiring July 2023. City residency required.
- Johnson City Senior Services Advisory Council: Makes recommendations on matters affecting planning, support, and programming for the senior center.
- Three appointments, each for three-year terms. City residency required.
- Johnson City Senior Center Foundation Board: Responsible for supporting and participating in special events, and assisting in fundraising efforts to benefit senior center operations, services, and/or capital improvements.
- Eight appointments; each for a three-year term. Residency in Washington, Sullivan, Unicoi, or Carter County required.
Any citizen interested in serving may submit an application online at www.johnsoncitytn.org/boards. The deadline for applications is Wednesday, Nov. 30. Applications are kept on file for one year. Descriptions of each board and committee may be found online at www.johnsoncitytn.org/boards_and_committees.