Jan. 28, 2022
Infrastructure work continues in the West Walnut Street area
Water, sewer and stormwater work continues next week as part of the West Walnut Street Redevelopment Project.
This work will impact traffic flow in the following areas:
- Earnest Street – closed between West Walnut Street and West Maple Street
- West Watauga Avenue – single lane, one-direction entry from West State of Franklin Road to West Walnut Street
- West Walnut Street – West Watauga Avenue to Southwest Avenue
- Sevier Street – closed between West Walnut Street and West Maple Street
- Sevier Street/West Maple Street intersection – closed with traffic controls in place
This work will include detours in the following areas:
- West Watauga Avenue/West Walnut Street Intersection – Westbound traffic will be directed to turn left on Southwest Avenue, right on West Maple Street, right on Boyd Street, and left on West Walnut Street. Eastbound traffic has no change to the traffic pattern.
- Earnest Street/West Walnut Street Intersection - Westbound traffic will be directed to turn right on Union Street, left on Ashe Street, and left on Sevier or Campbell streets. Eastbound traffic will be directed to turn left on Campbell Street, right on Ashe Street and left on Buffalo Street.
Drivers who cannot avoid these areas should expect delays, use caution in the construction zone, and observe posted speed limits for their safety and the safety of workers.
This work is part of the City of Johnson City’s West Walnut Street Redevelopment Project. Additional information about the proposed redevelopment in this area as well as updates on construction can be found on the City’s website, www.johnsoncitytn.org/westwalnutplan.