Jan. 24, 2022
Sewerline and stormwater work continues in area of West Walnut Street
Crews will continue the installation of a new 10-inch gravity sewer line along Earnest Street as well as finishing up an 18-inch sewerline installation on West Watauga Avenue in the coming weeks. Other work taking place includes the installation of new stormwater piping work along Sevier Street.
This work will impact traffic flow in the following areas:
- Earnest Street – Ashe Street to West Walnut Street (week of Jan. 24) and West Walnut Street to West Maple Street (week of Jan. 31).
- West Watauga Avenue - single lane, one-direction entry from West State of Franklin Road to West Walnut Street the week of Jan. 24.
- West Walnut Street – West Watauga Avenue to Southwest Avenue.
- Sevier Street – closed between West Walnut Street and West Maple Street
This work will include detours in the following areas:
- West Watauga Avenue/West Walnut Street Intersection – Westbound traffic will be directed to turn left on Southwest Avenue, right on West Maple Street, right on Boyd Street and left on West Walnut Street. Eastbound traffic has no change to the traffic pattern.
- Earnest Street/West Walnut Street Intersection - Westbound traffic will be directed to turn right on Earnest Street, left on Ashe Street and left on Sevier or Campbell streets. Eastbound traffic will be directed to turn left on Campbell Street, right on Ashe Street and left on Buffalo Street.
Drivers who cannot avoid these areas should expect delays, use caution in the construction zone, and observe posted speed limits for their safety and the safety of workers.
This work is part of the City of Johnson City’s West Walnut Street Redevelopment Project. Additional information about the proposed redevelopment in this area as well as updates on construction can be found on the City’s website, www.johnsoncitytn.org/westwalnutplan.