Glow Stick Swim - ** RESCHEDULED **
** RESCHEDULED TO FRIDAY, JAN. 13TH DUE TO INCLEMENT WEATHER ** - We are turning the lights down and the music up loud to ring in the New Year with a little glow stick fun! Memorial Park Community Center will hold a Glow Stick Swim at the indoor pool facility on Friday, January 13th from 7pm - 8:45pm. We'll have glow sticks available, but you are welcome to bring your own to add to the mix. Admission will be $2 for ages 12 and under, and $3 for ages 13 & up.
For more information, please call (423) 434-5755.
Martin Luther King, Jr. celebrations set
City offices and services will be closed Monday (Jan. 16th) in observance of the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday. Here's a schedule of celebrations set in our area for you to enjoy.
At 9:30 a.m. on Saturday (Jan. 14th), Wesley United Methodist, 225 Princeton Road, will host a Martin Luther King Jr. Prayer Breakfast featuring Anthony Duane Hancock, former University of Tennessee and Kansas City Chiefs wide receiver. Tickets are available at Carver Recreation Center, 322 W. Watauga Ave., for $15 a person or $120 for a table of eight. Proceeds will benefit the Carver after-school program trip to Washington D.C. and the National Museum of African-American History and Culture.
On MLK Jr. Day, Monday (Jan. 16th), the following events will be held at Carver Rec:
• Martin Luther King Jr. Story Time: 9 a.m.-1 p.m., open to all ages. Youth will enjoy stories, arts and crafts, and music. Lunch will be provided. This program is provided in partnership with East Tennessee State University’s Office of Multicultural Affairs.
• Martin Luther King Jr. Dinner: 6-8 p.m. Join the Carver staff in celebrating Martin Luther King Jr. with food and musical entertainment.
In conjunction with the Carver events will be:
• United for Change Unity Walk and Program: 12:30-2:30 p.m. Unity walk will begin and end at Greater Love International Church, 130 Garden Drive, with program immediately to follow. Chili will be served at the conclusion of the event. Please call (423)434-2749 for more information.
MPCC Fitness Expo
Memorial Park Community Center, 510 Bert St., will offer a free Fitness EXPO for all ages on Tuesday, Jan. 17th from 5-7 p.m. Participants will be introduced to fitness equipment and classes such as Piloxing, Zumba, P90X, Yoga, Silver Sneakers®, and pool aerobics. Light refreshments will be served.
Please register in person at MPCC. For more information, please call (423) 434-5749.
Senior Services to host Invigorating Wellness series
Senior Services at Memorial Park Community Center, 510 Bert St., will offer a quarterly series on Invigorating Wellness starting this month. Invigorating Wellness will highlight several complementary health approaches identified by the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Medicine
Each session costs $5 and will be held from 5:30-7:30 p.m. Refreshments will be served. The schedule is as follows:
• February 21, 2017
– Massage Therapy with Janet Rice, MT
• May 16, 2017
– Chiropractic with Dr. Timothy Dunne
• August 15, 2017
– Supplements/Herbs with Seth McLaughlin
For more information and to pre-register, please call (423)434-6237.
MORE GOING ON
- For more City events, please follow us here.
- For more Freedom Hall Civic Center events, please follow us here.